Thursday, March 13, 2008

How I started with Technical Analysis?

Back in 1997, I picked up a book on candlesticks written by Steve Nison. In the book, he explained the mechanics of candlesticks in detail and willingly shared his experience of using candlesticks on financial markets. This triggered off my interest in technical analysis, and from there, I followed up by reading another few books written by the 'founders' of Technical Analysis in the various school of thoughts.

I was obssessed with this mode of analysis, believing it would provide all answers to making investment decisions. I started to use Technical Analysis in my personal investment in the stock and futures market, applying religiously what the books preached. As I carried on to learn and practise my technical skills, I got so well versed in Technical Analysis that it eventually got me a job as a Technical Analyst in an international investment advisory company.

I was thrilled by the offer as my responsiblities were to analyse bonds, stock indices in Asia and some currencies. However, my encounter with Technical Analysis did not just end there as a perfect note. Through the years of practising, I realised that Technical Analysis has its weaknesses which users must be aware of.